5 Online Tools Everyone Must Use For Travelling

Modern day travelling is easier than ever thanks to technology developing and literally being at our fingertips on a day-to-day basis.
Travel fare websites, sightseeing apps, social media. All of these making the world feel closer to us than it really is and have become a necessity in order for our travels to run as smoothly and functional as possible.
Here are the 5 online tools I reckon are the best ones to use when travelling.
Disclaimer: This is just a personal list and is by no means a definitive guide. It is also in no particular order.

1. Twitter

The uncontested king of blogging engagement. There are many ways in which you can grow as an influencer and expand your reach: from blogger follow trains to weekly blogging chats to the odd shoutouts and shares. This also means the blogging community has a wide range of methods to support others and are very supportive as a result.
Through Twitter I’ve seen and I’ve been privileged enough to meet and get to know them a bit in person. The pool of bloggers out there is massive. Even today I’m still meeting new travel and lifestyle bloggers.

2. Skyscanner

The almost uncontested king and queen of flexible travel fare sites. Dare I say Momondo is my close 2nd. If you’re a traveller and don’t know about Skyscanner then where have you been living
Skyscanner covers the cheapest flights all around the world. It finds the cheapest and most expensive days for you to travel. My best deal so far has been a £21 return to Luxembourg for two days but in case you’re new to this blog and you didn’t know: Ryanair royally messed me up and my flights got cancelled….still waiting on the compensation. What more can I say eh!

3. Google Maps

The next one up on the list is Google Maps. Among travellers it is the most popular navigation app to use.
You can download maps of the city or town you’re visiting before you head off (country if it’s a road trip) and use the maps offline. When abroad I’ve often screenshotted the directions to places of interest from Google Maps before leaving a WiFi hotspot because I don’t have data roaming and therefore no access to internet when outdoors.
Without Google Maps allowing me to do that I would find it difficult to go abroad solo the way I do as of now.

4. Booking.com

There’s always mentions of Airbnb and Hostelworld. Deservedly so because of how cost-effective they are but Booking.com doesn’t get as much attention for the same reasons in my opinion.
It’s also just as (if not more) comprehensive and travel-friendly. Booking.com is very detailed in terms of providing ratings and written reviews for accommodations, distance from centre of the city, activities and facilities you can or cannot have access to, making it easy for you to tailor your choices towards your needs.
They offer accommodations from hostels to private homes to luxury hotels. What I really like is the flexibility in payment philosophy: there are options to pay when you get to the property rather than pre-payment depending on the rooms available and where you’re staying. You reserve your preferred place to stay and can cancel free of charge until 2-3 days before the start of your stay (I believe)
On top of that you can potentially save on travel through their affiliate program where you receive £15 travel credit for every person who signs up using your affiliate link, much like Airbnb.

5. Google Translate

Without Google Translate I would know didily about the languages of some countries I’ve visited this past 12 months. This has included French, Italian and Spanish.
A week and a half or two before I’d list key phrases I needed to know in different language, type them into Google Translate and bob’s your uncle. I often start practicing speaking the language afterwards.
Google Translate covers over 100 languages. It even perfects the pronunciation and accents of certain words so you’ll be a local in no time.
Albeit help through a web feature I’m glad to be able to improve upon my language and communication skills. They are really essential life skills if you’re living abroad.
Special Mention: Pinterest. Great for finding travel guides on future destinations and gaining ideas for blog posts.
Other Special mentions: Airbnb, Google Flights, Hostelworld

What Other Bloggers Say

What are your top 5 travel tools online? Are there other ones I haven’t mentioned that would make your list? Obviously everyone’s different and this is just a personal list so would like to hear what your list would be.
Subscribe and follow the blog to be plugged in with more blog content. Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest
Johnny | Johnny’s Traventures

21 Comments

1. Soumya Gayatri
    September 14, 2018 / 4:29 am

I have certainly used all of them on my travels except for Twitter. Google Maps is a long-time favorite. Twitter is still a struggle. But as you put it across, it is definitely an important and effective one. Have to get on it soon.

• September 14, 2018 / 9:17 am

To be honest whilst away I’m hardly on Twitter either as I focus on enjoying my travels more. I find it more useful for helping me prepare for my trips

2. Say Yes To Madeira - Ślub i wakacje na Maderze
    September 15, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Good list. I also recommend Trip Advisor, any hike tracking app, and the Fork.

• September 16, 2018 / 4:33 pm

Thanks! Yeah Trip Advisor is definitely a good tool, not too clued up on Fork though

3. Ee Sing
    September 15, 2018 / 8:44 pm

I definitely use all of those for sure. Don’t know what will i do without them. Probably end up in nowhere and having trouble with exploring any city. I tried once using just a maps in Florence. It was quite interesting but we decided that one day was enough for the paperback map.

• September 16, 2018 / 4:36 pm

😂😂😂 I agree with you, I’d definitely get lost in a city at one point 🙂 Appreciate you reading

4. Federica Provolenti
    September 15, 2018 / 9:04 pm

I have used all of them, but Google Maps is without any doubt my favorite one. In the second place of my personal list there is Booking. Who doesn’t love the free cancellation opportunity???

• September 16, 2018 / 4:42 pm

It’s very handy that’s for sure, I love the pay at the property option. It means I can save up money and prepare my finances in advance

5. Katie
    September 16, 2018 / 1:48 am

I use all these too (maybe twitter a little less) but offline maps have been soooo helpful, particularly with no wifi or data!

• September 16, 2018 / 4:49 pm

100% Offline maps can literally be the best man-made thing ever at times.

6. September 16, 2018 / 9:09 am

I use all of the tools you have recommended. I love Google maps and I am lost without it when I travel. I also use my maps version on google to plan the places I want to visit so that when I arrive it’s all there for me to access quickly.

7. September 16, 2018 / 9:22 am

These are all really useful and apps that I use all the time on my travels. Think offline maps are essential for the places I go!

• September 16, 2018 / 2:16 pm

Great advice! Thanks for the detailed information. Definitely going to download a couple of these apps that I don’t already have.

8. September 16, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Nice ones! I am also a huge Mapstr fan to find the best places to eat!

9. September 17, 2018 / 5:12 am

Booking.com has been a fraud in India and always overcharges. I really rely on carpool apps and hotel discount apps like Goibibo. I guess you should check Blablacar out.

• September 17, 2018 / 10:37 am

Sorry to hear about that. It’s important that you said because not everyone’s experiences with online apps are the same

10. September 17, 2018 / 8:55 am

Skyscanner, booking, agoda, and other apps that can help me find cheap flights in EU. Google maps is convenient, I used it recently on my last visit to a city. There’s bunch more apps that can help travelers. I use matripper and map.me as well.

11. Niamh Adams
    September 19, 2018 / 11:58 pm

I will definitely be using this when I next go travelling! Great post, Thanku!

• September 20, 2018 / 1:40 pm

You’re welcome Niamh 🙂 Glad you’re gonna take them onboard

12. amaixico
    October 1, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Skyscanner and Google Maps are my favorites! I can’t travel without it!
    Excellent options

13. theamalog
    October 13, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Booking.com is my favourite and has never let us down. A real must have for all travellers.
    Thanks for sharing. Kaye – http://amalog.co